The Birds Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Firebird on Overhaulin'
80 Pace Car Interior Refresh EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 10:11 pm by The Firebird

» NWS Statements
80 Pace Car Interior Refresh EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 6:58 pm by The Firebird

» PVFA upcoming events
80 Pace Car Interior Refresh EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 am by TA78

» Car Show August 3 Raynham MA
80 Pace Car Interior Refresh EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm by BanditRich

» Pioneer Valley Firebirds Events 2014
80 Pace Car Interior Refresh EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 11:47 pm by Steve

» 7th ANNUAL NECF POTLUCK COOKOUT, Sunday, June 15, 2014
80 Pace Car Interior Refresh EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 2:48 pm by The Firebird

» PVGTOA 16th Annual Show 6/1 Agawam Mass.
80 Pace Car Interior Refresh EmptyWed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm by TA78

» '84 Recaro T/A, 5 speed, uber-rare Y81 Ttop-Delete, $1950
80 Pace Car Interior Refresh EmptyThu May 08, 2014 2:50 pm by The Firebird

» Dream Car Sprint
80 Pace Car Interior Refresh EmptyTue May 06, 2014 10:16 pm by Steve

» Grease Monkey Garage
80 Pace Car Interior Refresh EmptyFri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm by tajoe

National Firebird & Trans Am Club

Charter Oak Firebird’s Club Web Site
Firebird Nation of North America's Club Web Site.

Pioneer Valley Firebird Assn Web Site
Massachusetts Firebird Car Club

80 Pace Car Interior Refresh

3 posters

Go down

80 Pace Car Interior Refresh Empty 80 Pace Car Interior Refresh

Post by Steve Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:26 pm

I'm behind schedule but hoping to get this car done in time for the show season. I don't think I will have it ready for the Mass Firebirds show April 17th but who knows. I should have known that if you turn one wrench you might not like what you see.

I am really mad at Classic Industries. The dark grey carpet they recommended is not even in the ball park of the original. I e-mailed them prior to ordering to ask which part number is the match for a 1980 pace car. They sent me the part number but man, not even in the ball park. I called and they were kind of rude. "We have several grays for 1976 to 1981." I said "Yes but the factory only made one gray in 1980 and I have a written response from you telling me that the part I ordered was right." It was like dealing with the government, you are responsible for knowing what you order. Plus they did not seem to have any knowledge of the product. They will take it back but I have to eat the shipping to California. Plus it will delay my project. I'm going to buy from Ames from now on. At least they tell you if the part matches or not.

Anyway here is the shots, the interior is out, one seat is stripped but I found lots of surface rust on the bare metal parts of the seat.

80 Pace Car Interior Refresh Int1
80 Pace Car Interior Refresh Int2
80 Pace Car Interior Refresh Int3
Steve
Steve

http://tran-zam.com

Back to top Go down

80 Pace Car Interior Refresh Empty Re: 80 Pace Car Interior Refresh

Post by 69_RAG_TOP Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:05 am

It looks like you are going to completely redo the interior.

Are you ripping up the carpets too?
69_RAG_TOP
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.charteroakbirds.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Yes, Larry, the carpet has to go. I ordered a carpet from Classic Industries and they sent some wacky gun-metal gray that not only isn't close but was never offerred on the Firebird.

Martin, any time my friend. I would love to ride in your '73 too.
Steve
Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:12 pm

Oh yeah, I got the radio working too, not great but working.

The heater/AC doesn't work so I'm going to try to fix that. I hope it is just the resistor.
Steve
Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by mr71transam Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:12 am

You don't need A/C. Just roll the windows down and go FAST.
mr71transam
mr71transam
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:01 pm

The car is coming along. I go my replacement carpet today from Classic Industries. I guess it will be okay althought the color is more silver than gray. It is too light but my original has faded so maybe it will match better.

I have been so busy at work. We have had about 20 layoffs this week and the place is chaos. Lots of travel planned this week and of course Easter this weekend. I am really hoping to get her ready for the Wallingford show. The seat covers may be a problem, I might have to find someone to do them for me.

Here are some shots of the interior. The first is a couple of NOS interiro quarter panels and some repop sail panels. In this case the repops are perfect quality since I'm painting them. The black color on them is kind of blah. So if you use black be prepared to paint anyway or buy NOS. The headliner parts were really good but I didn't buy the T-Top version. I cut standard panels, same for teh sail panels. Of course I probbaly messed them up because I trimmed all the excess plastic off and sanded the cuts. It's looks way better than factory. I will probbaly get points deducted but I don't care about that anyway. I do want correct colors. The second pic is the samll parts. I tell you the SEM phantom White is a perfect match for Oyster, wow. I got some SEM gray paint for the new package tray I bought but it is way too dark. I did but a color chart for SEM so I can get exact, pretty much.

The last photo is the Red 1979 parts. I am really into this. I was hoping I would get laid off so I could begin assembling her again. Oh well, it will have to wait, but what a striking car that is going to be.

80 Pace Car Interior Refresh Int4

80 Pace Car Interior Refresh Int5

80 Pace Car Interior Refresh Int6
Steve
Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by 69_RAG_TOP Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Looks great Steve. Nice work.

Good idea to cut standard sail panels. If it looks way better than factory and you are happy with it, then go for it.

No one cares if you get points deducted off after you get out of a show because it is your car and you want to customize it the way you want it, not the way some judge thinks it should be.

I never really heard the story of the Red 1979 Firebird.

Quote "I am really into this. I was hoping I would get laid off so I could begin assembling her again."

I have to laugh at that statement. I guess you hate the company that you work for as much as the one that laid me off two years ago. After 30 plus years of loyalty I was laid off and my job went overseas to Asia.

It turns out that it was the best thing that has ever happened to me. No longer working for some disfunctional organization that is downsizing, reorganizing and has a toxic work environment because things are so stressful.

Best of all no more performance reviews and no longer having to kiss my ex boss's behind. I am my own boss now... running two businesses in retirement. I couldn't be more happy. 80 Pace Car Interior Refresh Lmao22

69_RAG_TOP
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:40 pm

I don't hate my company at all, but sometimes I think I wish I could get booted so that I could finally do what I've always wanted to do, start a business. I often think I am just wasting my time working for others.

Companies just don't have loyalty anymore. One of my best friends just got RIF'd (A RIF is like a lay off but unlike a layoff it means you will never be invited back if business improves).
Steve
Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by 69_RAG_TOP Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Absolutely true.

Do not underestimate your value as an older employee.

Even though these companies value young employees on the first step of the pay grades, they are losing the company values that are most important.

Experience. Ability. Confidence. Loyalty. Committment. Quality.

Starting your own business is a rewarding experience. You no longer are wasting your time doing meaningless tasks for some j*ck*ss just because you need the paycheck every week.

Sorry to hear about you friend who got RIF'd

It sounds like a RIF is nothing more than your company saying "Don't let the door hit your *ss on the way out and by the way, don't come back"
69_RAG_TOP
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down