The Birds Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Firebird on Overhaulin'
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 10:11 pm by The Firebird

» NWS Statements
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 6:58 pm by The Firebird

» PVFA upcoming events
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 am by TA78

» Car Show August 3 Raynham MA
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm by BanditRich

» Pioneer Valley Firebirds Events 2014
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 11:47 pm by Steve

» 7th ANNUAL NECF POTLUCK COOKOUT, Sunday, June 15, 2014
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 2:48 pm by The Firebird

» PVGTOA 16th Annual Show 6/1 Agawam Mass.
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly EmptyWed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm by TA78

» '84 Recaro T/A, 5 speed, uber-rare Y81 Ttop-Delete, $1950
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly EmptyThu May 08, 2014 2:50 pm by The Firebird

» Dream Car Sprint
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly EmptyTue May 06, 2014 10:16 pm by Steve

» Grease Monkey Garage
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly EmptyFri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm by tajoe

National Firebird & Trans Am Club

Charter Oak Firebird’s Club Web Site
Firebird Nation of North America's Club Web Site.

Pioneer Valley Firebird Assn Web Site
Massachusetts Firebird Car Club

Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly

3 posters

Go down

Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly Empty Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly

Post by 69_RAG_TOP Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:06 pm

OK. It is getting colder outside and most of us are starting to put away our Firebirds for the season.
I started a little early this year taking apart some of the items that need repair with one of my cars.

I have the original air filter assembly for the 1969 Pontiac Firebird. It has some metal damage near the end of the intake horn. It is possible that someone stepped on the intake many years ago and hammered it back. Look at the pictures. Anyway it looks bad.

I would like to hear some of your ideas on the best way to fix this metal back to the way it looked.

Since it is curved and the metal opening is somewhat oval this metal repair is going to be a lot harder than just hammering out a flat piece.

Any one have any ideas?

Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly Airfilter02
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly Airfilter03
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly Airfilter04
Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly Airfilter01
69_RAG_TOP
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.charteroakbirds.com

Back to top Go down

Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly Empty Re: Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly

Post by mr71transam Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:52 pm

I have repaired the open ends on my air filter assembly. If you want I well be willing to give it a try for you. I sure I can't make any worse. I will be up at Jim's shop in Beacon Falls in a few week and if you want I'll have him give it a try. PM me if you are interested.
mr71transam
mr71transam
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly Empty Re: Opinions on Repairing Metal for an Air Filter Assembly

Post by mr71transam Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Larry how is the repair going?

Rick H
mr71transam
mr71transam
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 69_RAG_TOP Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:03 pm

I did not want to make the metal worse. I It is best to find body shop metal shapers and reshape the horn tube assembly.
Most of these tools are available but they are expensive and I don't want to invest in these unless I plan on doing future bodywork,

I just may have to give it to a bodyshop guy like Jim who can do it professionally. Can you PM me his contact info?
69_RAG_TOP
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Al Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:31 pm

Ouch, that's a nasty biff... Sorry to see it and I hope you can get it squared away.
Brother Al
Brother Al

http://www.necamaro-firebird.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down