The Birds Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Firebird on Overhaulin'
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 10:11 pm by The Firebird

» NWS Statements
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 6:58 pm by The Firebird

» PVFA upcoming events
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 am by TA78

» Car Show August 3 Raynham MA
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm by BanditRich

» Pioneer Valley Firebirds Events 2014
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 11:47 pm by Steve

» 7th ANNUAL NECF POTLUCK COOKOUT, Sunday, June 15, 2014
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 2:48 pm by The Firebird

» PVGTOA 16th Annual Show 6/1 Agawam Mass.
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page EmptyWed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm by TA78

» '84 Recaro T/A, 5 speed, uber-rare Y81 Ttop-Delete, $1950
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page EmptyThu May 08, 2014 2:50 pm by The Firebird

» Dream Car Sprint
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page EmptyTue May 06, 2014 10:16 pm by Steve

» Grease Monkey Garage
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page EmptyFri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm by tajoe

National Firebird & Trans Am Club

Charter Oak Firebird’s Club Web Site
Firebird Nation of North America's Club Web Site.

Pioneer Valley Firebird Assn Web Site
Massachusetts Firebird Car Club

GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page

Go down

GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Empty GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page

Post by Brother Al Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:52 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Command Control E4ME Quadrajet:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "CCC" E4ME Q-Jet is a great dual purpose carburetor, provided it and all of its supporting systems are properly maintained. It was designed to work in a wide variety of enviromental conditions, provide excellent daily reliability, and still provide good gas mileage. On the flip side, if you "Open it Up", the E4ME Q-Jet's secondaries were designed to reliably flow up to 750 CFM @ Wide Open Throttle. These carbs can easily support up to 450hp, provided it is kept clean, maintained, and its related systems are intact and funtioning properly. GM proved its full capabilities during testing of its Emissions Legal ZZ3/ZZ4 350 conversion package for 1982 - '87 LG4 and L69 Camaros and Firebirds, (discontinued). In stock form, the E4ME has several things that limit it, but they are easily undone with a few simple mods, common tools, and easy to find parts.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Truck010ba9

Sensors

BLUE/BLACK Female Connector: (top-front pass-side) Idle Mixture Control Solenoid
WHITE/BLACK/CLEAR/YELLOWED/GRAY Female Connector: (front driver's-side) Throttle Position Sensor
ROUND BLACK/GREEN/GRAY, Aluminum/Plastic Case w/ Blade Connector: (pass-side) Electric Choke
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Many times, I've heard/read people complain about these carbs sucking and never running right. As with anything, if its not taken care of, it won't be reliable. Age, heat cycling, gasoline, and wear all contribute to failure. The number one source of problems for these carbs has been vacumn leaks through the throttle shafts due to wear. If your car has 120,000 miles and the TPS is full of oil sludge, the MCS is unplugged, and the choke is bad, don't be suprised if your car reeks of gas & moves like a snail. Add in any number other things that need to be replaced and you've got a dead horse, so stop kicking it, get off your ass, and go fix it. 8-)

Some History:

Nay-sayers use terms such as "Quadra-bog", "Crap-jet", etc, however the Q-jet is, in most respects, the best carburetor ever designed. Originally, GM used Holley & Carter carburetors on many of its 60's V8 engines, but those weren't very reliable for everyday driving. Facing thousands of reliabilty complaints and engine failures due to gasoline wash, GM set its engineers out to design a carburetor that could work reliably in all conditions, have reasonable mileage, give excellent full throttle capability, and work atop just about any engine for all kinds of applications... Thus the Rochester 4M Quadrajet was born. Due to ever increasing demand by the various GM brands for their ever larger V8's, GM turned to Carter to produce Q-jets for GM, thus creating the "Quadrajet by Carter" used on the sides of some 60's versions. (Carter had no involvement in the design). During the late 60's/early 70's, Federal Emissions mandates caused GM to force its divisions to use the Q-Jet as their only 4 barrel carb. In 1975, GM changed the Q-jet to meet more stringent smog requirements and designated it the M4M. In 1981, the Q-jet was modified to the E4ME specs to meet the ever increasing demands of the Federal Emissions mandates. The primary bore was typically 1 3/32 inches and the secondary air valve opening was limited to 70 deg, not 90 degrees. With only a few special exceptions, these carbs were primarily calibrated for economy and emissions, not high performance applications, yet most of the limitations are easily undone.

E4ME TECH:

There are a lot of myths surrounding the E4ME version of the Q-jet. Until GM's Rochester Division could create reliable fuel injection systems, it was really a very simple solution to Federal Emissions mandates. The E4ME did its job so well that Ford, Chrysler, and AMC all bought them from GM to use on some of their higher output engines of the time. The Quadrajet was simply redesigned to accept electronic internal components, offering more precise metering of the primaries, reducing emissions, and improving fuel economy at part open throttle. The CCC's Electronic Control Module (ECM) monitors several engine parameters under normal operating conditions and utilizes an oxygen sensor in the driver's side exhaust manifold to measure those adjustments. These carbs use a Mixture Control Solenoid (MCS) & a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). The TPS sends electronic signals to the ECM, then based on the various sensor info, the ECM sends varying signals to the MCS within the carburetor, controlling the depth of the primary metering rods in their jets, richening or leaning the mixture based on engine load. In Closed Loop, the computer moves the MCS up & down to achieve the ideal 14.7 Air/Fuel Ratio. The TPS sends signals to the computer and tells it where the throttle is positioned. The Rich and Lean Stops limit the travel of the main Metering Rods. The Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) adjusts the Idle Air bypass. The Oxygen Sensor (O2 Sensor) reads the exhaust gases for the Rich/Lean condition of the exhaust gases and sends those readings in pulses to the ECM, O2 Lean = wide pulse, O2 Rich = narrow pulse. Again, the computer only controls the carb's primary fuel metering circuit at idle and part throttle, so once you hammer the pedal and open the secondaries, its all yours. One common thing that most people don't realize is that the computer (ECM) also controls the Distributor's timing advance/retard. If the computer isn't reading all of the correct parameters, it will pull timing and run like crap, aka goes into "Limp Home Mode". Another very important thing to note is that the ECM has a block learning capability, ie; it saves mixture values to adjust for driver habits, normal wear, and seasonal weather conditions. After every tune up, or anytime you replace anything on the engine, it is very important to unplug the battery for at least 15 minutes to reset the computer's memory back to the original factory baseline so the CCC system can readjust to the new tune up &/or parts.

Troubleshooting::

- If your engine runs rich, despite everything functioning properly to the best of your knowledge, its usually the result of an underlying problem such as a misfire, a defective PCV, oil sludge in the PVC vacuum lines, a dead O2 sensor, a bad coolant sensor, or oil blowby (bad rings). You should regularly smell your old oil after changes for a heavy odor of gasoline. If there is, it means your engine is running so rich that gasoline is bypassing the piston rings during combustion, (VERY BAD). If an engine cannot burn all of the fuel, it will pass by the rings, wash out the protective oil on the cyl walls, and end up in the crankcase thinning out the oil.
- O2 Sensor: It is the primary source of info for the ECM's fuel adjustments. If it is dirty or burnt out, the computer cannot regulate the carburetor's fuel mixture and it will go into Default, aka "Limp Home Mode", and run rich to protect the engine from detonation. (Note: Never use solvents to clean it.)
- The PCV system: It can also create a rich condition if it becomes plugged. Its designed to carry water vapor, oil vapor, and combustion gases out of the crankcase and to send it into the intake to mix with incoming fuel to be burnt up in the combustion process. Unfortunately, that same stuff forms sludge in the PCV system and it often plugs up its vacuum lines, smog components, and even the vacuum passages in the carb itself. Its a good idea to replace all of your vacuum lines every 50,000 miles and check all of the other components for sludge.
- Evaporative Fuel Emission system: This system can hide multiple causes for a rich condition. To find out if this is the cause, disconnect the evaporative hoses and see if the rich condition goes away. Often the air filter on the bottom of Charcoal Canister is very dirty and just needs to be cleaned.
- Carburetor sources of a Rich Fuel Condition: The needle-valve/seat sealing issue or a bad float are usually the problem. With age and wear the needle and its seat often deform and fuel can leak past. Another issue is a fuel bowl float that is saturated and sinks or is damaged by today's alcohol fuel blends, there are several methods of repair for the needle and seat, all new float should be alcohol proof, metal, and tested for leaks prior to installation. Sometimes fibers from the fuel filter can get stuck in needle and seat and prevent it from closing. Always rinse and then presoak a new fuel filter in fresh gasoline prior to installation and carefully wipe out the carb's fuel inlet gently with very clean, latex clad finger to remove any remains of the old filter, (Never use rags or paper as they always leave particles behind). Another thing to note is that you should NEVER use Teflon Tape to seal the threads of a fuel system, as small fibers can shear off and plug the fuel system or between the needle and its seat. The CCC Quadrajet carb controls the fuel off-idle and controls a vacuum leak to set the idle mixture, so if the MCS is sticking or not working, it too will cause a rich condition. When an engine has run rich for a while, the spark plugs, piston and valve tops, catalytic converter, and O2 sensor will all become covered with carbon built up. A good 20 minute drive on the highway with a fill up of a quality high-test fuel should clear up the problem.

Assembly Line Diagnostic Link, aka Trouble Codes
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page 2008-11-28_215341_aldl
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Aldlcon
Important Note: In the diagnostic mode, the computer will also energize all computer controlled relays and solenoids.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Turn ignition switch to OFF position
- Locate Data Link Connector (ALDL).
- Jumper the A & B terminals using a paper clip or a jumper wire.
- Turn Ignition switch to ON position.
- Count the flashes on the "CHECK ENGINE" or "SERVICE ENGINE" light.
- FLASH, pause = 1, FLASH, FLASH = 2 Example Code: Code 12
- The computer will display a Code 12, three consecutive times.
- After Code 12 is displayed, any stored trouble codes will be displayed by flashing each trouble code 3 times, then a code 12 will repeat to finish.

Code Circuit Possible Causes/Solutions

12. Diagnostics Entered- Normal Code, with ignition on and engine off, indicates no distributor reference pulse to ECM.
13. Oxygen Sensor Circuit, check for a sticking or mis-adjusted TPS, check wiring and connectors for the O2 sensor. Replace the O2 sensor.
14. Coolant Temp Sensor/High Temp, but not overheating, check wiring & connectors for the coolant temperature sensor. Replace the CTS.
15. Coolant Temp Sensor/Low Temp, See above, then check the wiring connections at the ECM.
21. TPS/High, check for a sticking or mis-adjusted TPS plunger. Check wiring & connections between TPS and the ECM. Adjust or replace.
22. TPS/Low, check the TPS adjustment. Check the ECM connector, adjust or replace the TPS.
23. MCS, the MCS is open or grounded, check all wiring and connections, adjust or replace MCS.
24. MCS, a fault only indicated when the vehicle is in motion, disregard otherwise, check connections at the ECM & the TPS setting.
32. BARO Circuit Low, barometric pressure sensor circuit is low. Check wiring and or replace.
33. MAP Sensor, check the vacuum hoses from the MAP sensors and the electrical connections at the ECM. Replace MAP sensor.
34. Vac .Sensor/MAP sensor, signal voltage from MAP sensor is low, ECM substitutes a fixed MAP value & uses TPS to control fuel delivery. Replace MAP.
35. ISC Valve, Idle Speed Control error. Replace the ISC.
41. EST circuit, no distributor reference pulses to the ECM at specified engine vacuum, tach signal failure. Check wiring.
42. EST, bypass circuit or EST circuit is grounded or open. A bad HEI module can cause this code.
43. ESC/Knock Sensor, retard timing signal on for too long or the system has failed a functional check. System fault or failure elsewhere in system.
44. Lean Exhaust, check ECM wiring/connections, vacuum leak at the carburetor base gasket, vacuum hoses, & intake manifold gasket. Replace the O2.
45. Rich Exhaust, check the evaporative charcoal canister & its components for the presence of clogs or fuel. Replace the O2.
51. PROM, Make sure that the PROM is properly installed in the ECM. Disconnect battery & replace the PROM.
53. EGR valve, vac. sensor has received improper EGR vacuum. Check for failed diapragm or carbon in EGR pintle and manifold port. Replace EGR Valve.
54. MCS, voltage is high at the ECM because of a shorted MCS circuit and/or faulty ECM.
55. ECM, Be sure that the ECM ground connections are tight. If they are, replace faulty ECM.
61. O2 Sensor, sensor not responding, replace O2.

Terminology

A.I.R. - Air Injection Reaction System, the smog pump injects air into the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter to reduce emissions.
ALDL - Assembly Line Diagnostic Link, a female plug-in connector located on the bottom of the driver's side dash to find & diagnose trouble codes.
BARO - Barometric Absolute Pressure Sensor, measures barometric pressure and provides the ECM with altitude information.
CCC - Computer Command Control, the computerized carburetor control system.
CCV - Canister Control Valve, odd Black plastic thing w/ several vacuum ports, located in front of the carburetor.
CLOSED LOOP- ECM controls fuel & spark advancement, thru O2 sensor readings, only occurs only after warm-up and at idle/part throttle, not at WOT.
E4ME - The model number of the CCC QuadraJet (Q-Jet) Carburetor.
ECM - Electronic Control Module, aka the computer, mounted up behind the pass-side of dash in an aluminum box, and contains the PROM.
EDES - Electronic Divert and Electric Switching Valve
EECS - Evaporative Emissions Control System, the charcoal canister, evaporative fuel return lines, and canister control solenoid.
EFE - Early Fuel Evaporation, the system that captures evaported gasoline and returns it into the fuel system.
EFE Valve - Early Fuel Evaporation Valve, located in-line between the passenger exhaust manifold and pass side Y-pipe tube, controlled by vacuum.
EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation, captures unburned fuel and greenhouse gases from the exhaust system and returns it to the intake to be burned.
EGR Valve- Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve, located on the passenger side of the intake manifold, and is controlled by engine vacuum.
ESC - Electronic Spark Control, part of the distributor and is controlled by the ECM.
EST - Electronic Spark Timing, also part of the distributor controlled by the ECM, and used to prevent detonation and improve gas mileage.
HEI - High Energy Ignition, distributor cap and coil design.
ISC - Idle Speed Control
ISS - Idle Stop Solenoid
MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor measures changes in intake manifold pressure from engine load & speed changes, converts to voltage output.
MCS - Mixture Control Solenoid, located inside the Q-Jet carburetor & controlled by the ECM.
O2 - Oxygen Sensor is mounted in the drivers exhaust manifold, just before the Y-pipe & monitors the oxygen content of the exhaust gas stream.
OPEN LOOP - When ECM is not controlling fuel delivery & spark advance, open loop if the O2 sensor is below 600 degrees F, or engine is at WOT.
PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation.
PROM - Programmable Read Only Memory chip.
SES - Service Engine Soon, dash warning light.
TCC - Torque Converter Clutch, engages and disengages with to control torque converter slippage and inprove gas mileage.
TPS - Throttle Position Sensor, is a variable resistor mounted inside the carburetor float bowl and sends the position of the throttle to the ECM.
TVS - Thermal Vacuum Switch.
VAC- Vacuum Sensor - Measures the difference between manifold pressure and atmospheric pressure.
VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor, located behind the speedometer on later cars and tells the ECM vehicle speed.

E4ME Carburetor ID Numbers/ Application: *(Cars only)
1981:
17081284: Canada 305ci AT w/o AC, F-Body
17081285: Canada 305ci AT, AC, F-Body
17081296: Canada 350ci AT, w/o AC, POLICE PKG
17081297: Canada 350ci AT, AC, POLICE PKG
17081202: ALL, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Monte Carlo, Malibu, Impala, Caprice, El Camino/Caballaro, Camaro, Cutlass, Century, LeMans
17081203: US, 5.0L, MT, w/o AC, Camaro, Firebird, Z-28, El Camino/Caballaro
17081204: ALL, 5.0L, AT, AC, Monte Carlo, Malibu, Impala, Caprice, El Camino/Caballaro, Camaro, Cutlass, Century, LeMans
17081207: US, 5.0L, MT, AC, Camaro, Firebird, El Camino/Caballaro
17081216: ALL, 5.7L, AT, w/o AC, Malibu, Impala, Caprice, Camaro Z-28
17081217: ALL, 5.7L, MT, AC, Corvette
17081218: CALIF, 5.7L, AT, AC, Malibu, Impala, Caprice, Corvette, Camaro Z-28
17081219: US, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Malibu, Impala, Caprice, El Camino/Caballaro, Camaro, Century, LeMans
17081222: US, 5.0L, AT, AC, Malibu, Impala, Caprice, El Camino/Caballaro, Camaro, Century, LeMans
17081224: US, 5.7L, AT, w/o AC, Malibu, Impala, Caprice, Camaro Z-28
17081228: US, 5.7L, AT, AC, Malibu, Impala, Caprice, Camaro Z-28
17081242: ALL, 3.8L, AT, AC, Riviera -Turbo
17081243: ALL, 3.8L, AT, all, Regal-Turbo, Monte Carlo-Turbo, Cutlass-Turbo
17081245: ALL, 4.1L, AT, AC, LeSabre
17081247: ALL, 4.1L, AT, w/o AC, LeSabre
17081248: ALL, 4.1L, AT, AC, Electra, Fleetwood, DeVille
17081249: ALL, 4.1L, AT, w/o AC, Electra, Fleetwood, DeVille
17081253: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Electra, LeSabre, Riviera, Delta 88, Ninety-Eight, Toronado
17081254: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Electra, LeSabre, Delta 88, Ninety-Eight
17081270: ALL, 4.9L, AT, all, Trans Am
17081273: ALL, 4.9L, AT, all, Trans-Am-Turbo
17081289: ALL, 4.1L, AT, AC, Riviera, Eldorado, Seville
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1982:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17082202: ALL, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Regal, Caprice, Impala, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Camaro, El Camino/Caballaro, Firebird, Bonneville, Gran Prix
17082203: ALL, 5.0L, MT, AC, Z-28, Trans Am
17082204: ALL, 5.0L, AT, AC, Regal, Caprice, Impala, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Camaro, El Camino/Caballaro, Firebird, Bonneville, Gran Prix
17082207: ALL, 5.0L, MT, w/o AC, Z-28, Trans Am
17082216: US, 5.7L, AT, w/o AC, Caprice, Impala
17082218: US, 5.7L, AT, AC, Caprice, Impala
17082244: ALL, 3.8L, AT, all, Regal-Turbo
17082245: ALL, 4.1L, AT, w/o AC, LeSabre
17082246: ALL, 4.1L, AT, AC, Electra, Fleetwood, DeVille, Ninety-Eight
17082247: ALL, 4.1L, AT, AC, Riviera, Eldorado, Seville, Toronado
17082248: ALL, 4.1L, Regal, Bonneville, Grand Prix
17082249: ALL, 3.8L, AT, AC, Riviera-Turbo
17082251: US, 5.0L, AT, all, LeSabre, Electra, Riviera, Delta 88, Ninety-Eight, Toronado, Cutlass
17082253: US, 5.0L, AT, all, LeSabre, Electra, Riviera, Delta 88, Ninety-Eight, Toronado, Cutlass
17082260: ALL, 3.8L, AT, all, Regal-Turbo
17082265: ALL, 4.1L, AT, w/o AC, LeSabre
17082266: ALL, 4.1L, AT, AC, Electra, Fleetwood, DeVille, Nintey-Eight
17082267: ALL, 4.1L, AT, all, Riviera, Eldorado, Seville, Toronado
17082268: ALL, 4.1L, AT, all, Regal, Bonneville, Gran Prix
17082280: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, F-Body
17082281: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, F-Body
17082282: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Regal, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Caprice, Impala, El Camino/Caballaro, Bonneville, Grand Prix
17082283: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, Regal, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Caprice, Impala, El Camino/Caballaro, Bonneville, Grand Prix
17082286: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, LeSabre, Electra, Delta 88
17082287: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, LeSabre, Electra, Delta 88, Ninety-Eight
17082288: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, F-Body
17082289: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, F-Body
17082294: ALL, 4.1L, AT, all, LeSabre
17082295: ALL, 4.1L, AT, AC, Electra, Fleetwood, DeVille, Ninety-Eight
17082296: CANADA, 5.7L, AT, w/o AC, Caprice, Impala
17082297: CANADA, 5.7L, AT, AC, Caprice, Impala
17082298: ALL, 4.1L, AT, AC, Riviera, Eldorado, Seville, Toronado
17082299: ALL, 4.1L, AT, all, Regal, Bonneville, Grand Prix
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1983:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17083204: ALL, 5.0L, AT, AC, Caprice, Impala, Malibu, Monte Carlo, El Camino/Caballaro, Bonneville, Grand Prix
17083205: ALL, 5.0L, MT, all, Z-28-H.O., Trans Am-H.O.
17083206: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Caprice, Impala, Malibu, Monte Carlo, El Camino/Caballaro, Bonneville, Grand Prix
17083207: ALL, 5.0L, MT, AC, Z-28-H.O., Trans Am-H.O.
17083218: ALL, 5.0L, AT, AC, Caprice, Impala
17083242: ALL, 3.8L, AT, all, Riviera
17083244: ALL, 3.8L, AT, all, Regal
17083248: ALL, 4.1L, AT, all, Regal
17083250: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Riviera, Eldorado, Seville, Toronado
17083258: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, LeSabre, Electra, Delta 88, Ninety-Eight, Cutlass Supreme
17083280: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, F-Body
17083281: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, F-Body
17083282: CANADA, 5.0L, MT, w/o AC, F-Body
17083283: CANADA, 5.0L, MT, AC, F-Body
17083286: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, LeSabre, Delta 88
17083287: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, LeSabre, Electra, Delta 88, Ninety-Eight
17083553: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Cutlass Supreme-Hurst/Olds
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1984:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17084201: ALL, 5.0L, AT, ACCamaro, Caprice, Impala, Monte Carlo, Firebird, Bonneville, Grand Prix, El Camino/GMC, Parisienne
17084205: ALL, 5.0L, all, all, Camaro-Trans Am-H.O.
17084208: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Camaro, Monte Carlo, El Camino/GMC, Firebird
17084209: ALL, 5.0L, MT, AC, Z-28, Trans Am-H.O.
17084210: ALL, 5.7L, AT, AC, Caprice, Impala
17084240: ALL, 4.1L, AT, all, Regal, Century
17084244: ALL, 4.1L, AT, all, LeSabre
17084246: US, 4.1L Riviera, all, Toronado
17084252: ALL, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Riviera, Toronado
17084254: ALL, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, LeSabre, Delta 88, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser
17084256: ALL, 5.0L, AT, AC, Riviera, Toronado
17084258: ALL, 5.0L, AT, AC, LeSabre, Delta 88, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser
17084280: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Camaro, Firebird
17084281: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, Camaro, Firebird
17084282: CANADA, 5.0L, MT, w/o AC, Camaro, Firebird
17084283: CANADA, 5.0L, MT, AC, Camaro, Firebird
17084284: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Caprice, Impala, Monte Carlo, Parisienne, Bonneville, Grand Prix, El Camino/GMC, Regal, Century, Cutlass Sup.
17084285: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, Caprice, Impala, Monte Carlo, Parisienne, Bonneville, Grand Prix, El Camino/GMC, Regal, Century, Cutlass Supreme
17084286: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Delta 88, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, LeSabre, Electra
17084287: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, Delta 88, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, LeSabre, Electra
17084288: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Monte Carlo, El Camino/GMC, Regal, Century, Cutlass Supreme, Caprice, Impala, Parisienne
17084289: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, Monte Carlo, El Camino/GMC, Regal, Century, Cutlass Supreme, Caprice, Impala, Parisienne
17084296: CANADA, 5.7L, AT, w/o AC, Caprice, Impala, Parisienne
17084297: CANADA, 5.7L, AT, AC, Caprice, Impala, Parisienne
17084554: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Cutlass Supreme-Hurst/Olds
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1985:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17085202: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Z-28-H.O., Trans AM-H.O., Monte Carlo-SS
17085203: ALL, 5.0L, MT, all, Z-28-H.O., Trans AM-H.O.
17085204: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Caprice, Impala, Monte Carlo, El Camino/GMC, Camaro, Firebird, Bonneville, Grand Prix, Parisienne
17085207: ALL, 5.0L, MT, all, Camaro, Firebird
17085218: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Caprice- Police
17085282: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, LeSabre, Rviera, Delta 88, Toronado, Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser
17085554: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Cutlass Supreme-Hurst/Olds
17085580: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Z-28-H.O., Trans Am-H.O.
17085581: CANADA, 5.0L, MT, w/o AC, Z-28-H.O., Trans Am-H.O.
17085582: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, Camaro, Firebird
17085583: CANADA, 5.0L, MT, AC, Camaro, Firebird
17085584: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Monte Carlo, Caprice, Impala, Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, Bonneville, Parisienne, Delta 88, Grand Prix, LeSabre
17085586: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, Monte Carlo, Caprice, Impala, Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, Bonneville, Parisienne, Delta 88, Grand Prix, LeSabre
17085588: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Monte Carlo, Caprice, Impala, Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, Bonneville, Parisienne, Delta 88, Grand Prix, LeSabre
17085590: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, Monte Carlo, Caprice, Impala, Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, Bonneville, Parisienne, Delta 88, Grand Prix, LeSabre
17085592: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, LeSabre, Delta 88, Custom Cruiser, Parisienne
17085594: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, LeSabre, Delta 88, Custom Cruiser, Parisienne
17085596: CANADA, 5.7L, AT, w/o AC, Impala-Police
17085596: CANADA, 5.7L, AT, AC, Impala-Police
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1986:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17086003: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Monte Carlo-SS
17086004: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Monte Carlo, Caprice, Cutlass, Cutlass Sup., Bonneville, Parisienne, Delta 88, Grand Prix, LeSabre, Custom Cruiser
17086005: ALL, 5.0L, MT, all, Camaro, Firebird
17086006: ALL, 5.7L, AT, all, Caprice-Police
17086008: ALL, 5.0L, AT, all, Fleetwood (RWD), Caprice, Custom Cruiser, Estate Wagon, Regal, Parisienne, Cutlass Supreme
17086009: All, 5.0L, AT, all, Cutlass Supreme-Hurst/Olds
17086040, ALL, 5.0L, MT, all, Camaro, Firebird
17086083: CANADA, 5.0L, MT, AC, Camaro, Firebird
17086088: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, w/o AC, Monte Carlo, Caprice, Cutlass, Cutlass Sup., Bonneville, Parisienne, Delta 88, Grand Prix, LeSabre, Custom Cruiser
17086090: CANADA, 5.0L, AT, AC, Monte Carlo, Caprice, Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, Bonneville, Parisienne, Delta 88, Grand Prix, LeSabre, Custom Cruiser
17086096: CANADA, 5.7L, AT, w/o AC, Caprice-Police
17086098: CANADA, 5.7L, AT, AC, Caprice-Police

Carb Tuning
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Things you'll need:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Dwell meter.
- Thexton Q-Jet Adjusting Tools for turning the TPS, PN: 7002003 (discontinued)
- Thexton Q-Jet Guages, PN; 7001134 (discontinued)
- CV rods, which are very close to the AH rods that GM spec'd out for the F-Body ZZ4 conversion kit back in the 90's. The CV rods were easy to find in junkyards, often used on Olds 350s and 403s.

E4ME Q-Jet Replacements:

http://www.i-5automotive.com/page5.html

Tuning for Performance with your Computer-Controlled Quadrajet:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/0709ch_1984_chevy_camaro/index.html
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/carbu ... build.html
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com
http://performanceolds307.tripod.com/index.html
http://www.carburetor.ca/carbs/tech/Roc ... index.html
http://vetteworks.tripod.com/qjet.htm
http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt5.pdf

Q-Jet Idle Flow improvement: *not for the inexperienced.
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/qjetidle.htm

Q-Jet Secondary Metering Rods: *Beware, older style rods are about 1/4" longer.

http://www.thirdgen.org/rods
http://peterpam.customer.netspace.net.au/secd.htm

Electric Choke:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tech- ... ation.html

Idle Stop Solenoid: *subject is for Cutlass 307, but its the same for Chevy 305's

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11917

A lot of people seem to get confused as to what the several electrical connections are on these carbs:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Original GM Colors
BLUE Female Connector: (top-front pass-side) Idle Mixture Control Solenoid
BLACK/GRAY/YELLOWED/CLEAR Female Connector: (front driver's-side) Throttle Position Sensor
ROUND BLACK/GREEN/GRAY, Aluminum Case, Blade Connector: (pass-side) Electric Choke

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Rochester/QJet/index.htm

CARB INFO LINKS
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Image064_jpg
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Image065_jpg
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Image071_jpg

CCC System Parts Identification:

A.I.R. - Air Injection Reaction System:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Air-injection-reactor-system

ALDL - Assembly Line Diagnostic Link:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page P119816_image_large

CCV - Canister Control Valve:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page 214-539

Charcoal Canister:

" alt="" />

E4ME CCC QuadraJet (Q-Jet) Carburetor:

ECM - Electronic Control Module:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page ECM88FcarbyUsed

Smog Diverter Valve :
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page F09a8e652D19d42D4f7d2D884e2D4e07d5d0f82fDV122

EFE - Early Fuel Evaporation System:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Gm-evap01

EFE Exhaust Valve - Early Fuel Evaporation Valve:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page EFEValve

EFE Purge Valve:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page PW10290

EGR Valve - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Corp_0312_10_z+l98_tuned_port_intake+check_egr_valve

ESC - Electronic Spark Control, aka Knock Sensor:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Knocksensor

EST - Electronic Spark Timing
HEI - High Energy Ignition, distributor cap and coil design.
ISC - Idle Speed Control
ISS - Idle Stop Solenoid

L69:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Hppp_0907_08_z+1984_pontiac_anniversary_edition_trans_am+engine

MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page MAP-Sensor-006

MCS - Mixture Control Solenoid:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page 318-1001

O2 - Oxygen Sensor:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Q986066_300988_oxygen_sensor

PCV Valve - Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page 0801st_19_z+1989_chevrolet_s10+pcv_valve

PROM - Programmable Read Only Memory chip.
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Tuchup1k

SES - Service Engine Soon, dash warning light.
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page SES-1

TCC - Torque Converter Clutch:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page 41878369

TPS - Throttle Position Sensor:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page TPS1

Thermostat Housing:
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Tstathousing

TVS - Thermal Vacuum Switch, (inside air cleaner):
GM E4ME Electronic & CCC System Q-Jet Carb info page Air_cleaner_vacuum_switch
VAC- Vacuum Sensor - Measures the difference between manifold pressure and atmospheric pressure.
VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor, located behind the speedometer on later cars and tells the ECM vehicle speed.

Please PM me if you have any info to add.
Brother Al
Brother Al

http://www.necamaro-firebird.org

Back to top Go down