The Birds Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Firebird on Overhaulin'
need a new radiator EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 10:11 pm by The Firebird

» NWS Statements
need a new radiator EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 6:58 pm by The Firebird

» PVFA upcoming events
need a new radiator EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 am by TA78

» Car Show August 3 Raynham MA
need a new radiator EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm by BanditRich

» Pioneer Valley Firebirds Events 2014
need a new radiator EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 11:47 pm by Steve

» 7th ANNUAL NECF POTLUCK COOKOUT, Sunday, June 15, 2014
need a new radiator EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 2:48 pm by The Firebird

» PVGTOA 16th Annual Show 6/1 Agawam Mass.
need a new radiator EmptyWed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm by TA78

» '84 Recaro T/A, 5 speed, uber-rare Y81 Ttop-Delete, $1950
need a new radiator EmptyThu May 08, 2014 2:50 pm by The Firebird

» Dream Car Sprint
need a new radiator EmptyTue May 06, 2014 10:16 pm by Steve

» Grease Monkey Garage
need a new radiator EmptyFri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm by tajoe

National Firebird & Trans Am Club

Charter Oak Firebird’s Club Web Site
Firebird Nation of North America's Club Web Site.

Pioneer Valley Firebird Assn Web Site
Massachusetts Firebird Car Club

need a new radiator

4 posters

Go down

need a new radiator Empty need a new radiator

Post by Don Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:13 am

I am in the market for a new radiator for my 1967 Firebird 400. It had a leaky 4 row brass/copper GM style. I replaced it last fall with a 3 row brass/copper beacuse at the time thats what my local parts store had.

Because I expect the non heavy duty unit I am using will run hot this summer. I want to replace it with something that will do the job without question.

I checked with a couple local radiator shops and it will cost about $400 to have my 4 row re-cored. I can purchase new 4 row brass/copper for about $360.

Is aluminum better? Also I see some manufacturers advertise their radiators as 2 rows of 1 inch tubes with they claim cool better. Is this true? should I not be so concerned with getting a 4 row if the tubes are wider?

Don

Back to top Go down

need a new radiator Empty Re: need a new radiator

Post by mr71transam Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:01 pm

Don maybe Harry (hdebo) will chime in. I know he installed a aluminum one last year. he said it was a perfect fit and He no longer has any over heating problems.
mr71transam
mr71transam
Founder
Founder

http://www.charteroakbirds.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 69_RAG_TOP Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:40 am

My two cents.

I like to keep the car close to original as possible so I went with a 4 core copper radiator for a replacement. I went to a 4 core radiator, new water pump and all new hoses, royal purple , new coolant and thermostat.

The car stays at 165 all day and only gets to 180 when it idles in traffic.

You probably know cars better than I do but if you go with a 3-core aluminum radiator over the 2-core, the extra cooling capacity won't hurt and can easily cool Pontiac V8s.

I have seen these on more than one Pontiac and they resolve cooling issues as long as your cooling system is holding pressure and your fan is properly installed with a fan shroud.

You probably also know that getting the correct spacing for the water pump impeller to the diver plate is also worth the effort to increase your water pumps efficiency.

You can install the older 2-row aluminum radiator (1" tubes) and the newer style 3 and 4-row aluminum radiators with and without electric fans. Either setup will not cool efficiently unless you run a fan shroud that seals the fans to the radiator surface. The aluminum or plastic shrouds used to seal the fans to the radiator are typically a low-profile design since most electric fans need to be closer to the radiator to pull the volume of air required to cool your engine. The newer style aluminum radiators are also thinner than the stock copper radiators, so you'll need to have some sort rubber spacers set in the U-shaped rubber isolators that hold the radiator to the radiator support.

I have purchased OER radiator hoses and clamp hardware from Ames for my 1969 Firebird. I have had no problems with any of their parts. Quality is very good. Shipping is pretty fast. Ames has good inventory and gives discounts to frequent buyers.
69_RAG_TOP
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.charteroakbirds.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:13 am

I purchase from Ames all the time because I can drive there and pick up and not have to pay shipping. Cool

I think I am going to try my 3 row brass/copper radiator for now, but take steps to make it mor effecient. I need a fan spacer that is 3/4 inch larger to get my fan into the shroud deeper. I am also going to replace my fan clutch. It may be working ok but it seems a bit stiff to me. I read some place that it should spin free 1 to 1 and 1/2 times when you spin it by hand. Mine does not, it only spins 1/2 a turn when I spin it by hand.

After all that if it still runs hot I will go all out. time will tell.

Don

Back to top Go down

Post by hdebo Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:51 pm

I installed an aluminum radiator after my motor rebuild. It is not a stock in appearance but fits perfect in stock location. You will not get anything to run cooler than with aluminum.

I got it for a great deal off eBay, if you want the vendor info just send me a message.
Also you cannot beat 225 for a 3 core including shipping. Just use grill paint to give it more of an original look.
hdebo
hdebo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum