The Birds Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Firebird on Overhaulin'
Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 10:11 pm by The Firebird

» NWS Statements
Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 6:58 pm by The Firebird

» PVFA upcoming events
Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 am by TA78

» Car Show August 3 Raynham MA
Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm by BanditRich

» Pioneer Valley Firebirds Events 2014
Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 11:47 pm by Steve

» 7th ANNUAL NECF POTLUCK COOKOUT, Sunday, June 15, 2014
Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 2:48 pm by The Firebird

» PVGTOA 16th Annual Show 6/1 Agawam Mass.
Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter EmptyWed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm by TA78

» '84 Recaro T/A, 5 speed, uber-rare Y81 Ttop-Delete, $1950
Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter EmptyThu May 08, 2014 2:50 pm by The Firebird

» Dream Car Sprint
Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter EmptyTue May 06, 2014 10:16 pm by Steve

» Grease Monkey Garage
Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter EmptyFri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm by tajoe

National Firebird & Trans Am Club

Charter Oak Firebird’s Club Web Site
Firebird Nation of North America's Club Web Site.

Pioneer Valley Firebird Assn Web Site
Massachusetts Firebird Car Club

Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter

+2
blue81ta
69_RAG_TOP
6 posters

Go down

Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter Empty Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter

Post by 69_RAG_TOP Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:19 am

I was wondering how many of you put away your Firebird for the winter.

Some people drive their cars all year long... some drive them only in the spring and summer....some drive them less than a few hundred miles a year to a few shows....

I put away my 1969 Firebird and 1978 Trans Am for the winter in a dry garage. I have a routine for storing cars for the winter, more about that later.

However I keep my 1987 Trans Am GTA as a driver all year, even in the winter, but the car only goes out when the roads are clean, dry, free from road salt.

So do you drive your Firebird all year or put it away for the winter in storage?

What do you do for storage preparation?
69_RAG_TOP
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.charteroakbirds.com

Back to top Go down

Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter Empty Re: Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter

Post by blue81ta Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:08 pm

YES, I put Ol Blue away for the winter. No snow and salt for my baby. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Change the oil around the time I put my car away.

Full tank of gas and Stabil.

Put a sheet of plastic 1 mil thick down on the concrete floor to protect against condensation when temps go below 50 degrees. Then I put down large 4x4 sheets of cardboard on top of the plastic.... just a little something extra, because I'm so anal. Very Happy

Dryer sheets on the floor, front and back, in the trunk. I lay the sheets on cardboard. I roll up more sheets and stuff them in the exhaust splitters. (I told you I was anal). Under the hood, more sheets on cardboard and more rolled up and stuffed in the air intake. Don't want any mice moving in. Also I leave a note on the battery tray reminding me to take the sheets out of the air intake and splitters in the springtime. Very Happy

Take the battery out of the car and connect it to a Battery Tender.

Crack the windows just a hair so the interior can breathe.

Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer on the exterior. Put on the car cover.

I inspect the garage for any sign that mice etc. have decided to camp out for the winter. So far, so good.
blue81ta
blue81ta

Back to top Go down

Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter Empty Re: Putting Your Firebird Away for the Winter

Post by mr71transam Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:59 am

That's a very good routine. I believe I'll use it next winter.
mr71transam
mr71transam
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rkellerjr Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:38 am

I do not put mine away, I drive it all through the year Wink
rkellerjr
rkellerjr

Back to top Go down

Post by 69_RAG_TOP Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:00 am

I think that having at least one ride available to drive all year is a great alternative to not having a car to drive at all for 6 months.

On those clear December, January and February weekends I take out my 1987 Trans Am GTA and have some fun on the Interstate.
69_RAG_TOP
69_RAG_TOP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by blue81ta Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:28 am

rkellerjr wrote:I do not put mine away, I drive it all through the year Wink

Sure Rich, rub in in. Razz Very Happy

I should move down to Newport News. Could easily come back up here to see my family. Hmmmmm.

There's just way too much salt on the roads for me to drive Ol Blue during the winter.
blue81ta
blue81ta

Back to top Go down

Post by nap Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:44 pm

If you guys have air conditioning I would run the car once a month. This will keep the seals moist. Won't lose the freon in the system.

Some people disagree with this, but it seems to make sense to me.

nap

Back to top Go down

Post by hdebo Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Rather than rolling up sheets for the intake and exhaust tips to prevent mice is to use steel wool. Mice can not digest steel wool and will not try to burrow through it.
hdebo
hdebo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down